My childhood Political exposure and Kogi 2020 Local Government Elections By Umar Samuel Onotu - JISTNET

Post Top Ad

Advertise On JistNet

��Fresh UPDATES��

Wednesday 14 October 2020

My childhood Political exposure and Kogi 2020 Local Government Elections By Umar Samuel Onotu

ad here
ad here

*My childhood Political exposure and Kogi 2020 Local Government Elections*

By Umar Samuel Onotu


I remember vividly back then in 1990s. As a young boy growing up in the quite town of Obangede (Kogi state), my father use to carry me on his Yamaha100 motorcycle to his school every weekend to tidy up some unfinished job for the week.


He was a level 10 teacher and headmaster of a primary school. He was fondly called teacher. Those days, teaching was regarded as a noble profession and if any of your parents happens to be a teacher, there will be an expectation that naturally you should have high intelligence quotient and be brilliant in class.


Every weekend in his school, he tells the woman who sells food to serve me a plate of rice and beans. He will then take me to the school garden where he will pluck maize and roast for me to eat. I also had access to some of the school's arts and crafts. Perhaps, I enjoy these priviledges because I was the headmaster's son.


I had the confidence that my father was not just a rich man, but a very rich one. The feelings was like that of those city children that were born with blue blood in their veins.


Then this great day came in 1999, my father broke the news to us. The news was that his people unanimously agreed that he should be given the councillorship slot made available for his family and clan.


He was to resign from his work (as a teacher and headmaster) in other to be eligible for the position.


The news was not a good one for me. I thought, 'this new development will abruptly end the priviledges I was enjoying, especially the free lunch, the roasted maize and my access to the school's archives and craft works.


In no distance time, the atmosphere became tensed with political activities. Suddenly, I don't see my father at home anymore. He leaves the house before day break and returns home when I am about to sleep or asleep.


He explained that it was the time for series of meetings and consultations with family members, clan and local government political leaders. 


He told us that in one of the meetings, after historical review of the family, lineage and clan that have occupied the councillorship seat at one point or the other, it was re-affirmed that it was our family's turn to produce a councillor for the next dispensation. This is in line with the political ideology of equity, fairness and Justice, 


My father  was adjudged to be the best candidate to represent the good people of his ward at that time. Perhaps, because of his educational level.


That was not the end of the tussle, as always occasioned in Nigeria politics; campaign started and it was characterised with satirical songs and statements from the opposition party and individuals. 


In politics of those days, political parties throw words at each other, sometimes the supporters clash but no one will dare threat with a gun. Such actions were taboo in those days. That was how politice was played in those days.


In that era, women were greatly needed in political terrain too and they were big factor to reckon with. So my mother was not left out of the political adventure. She bought melon and a reasonable quantity of garri for eba to prepare for the people. 


After you cast yourr vote, you will be refreshed with Eba and egusi soup saucced with Upa(Pomo).


My father didn't fail to make cars available to transport people over to our ward even from far Owo in Ondo State to vote.


In the long run, let me not bore you with my long story, my dad won the election  and he was declared winner by the Independent National Electoral Commission.


It was a door to door campaign, it was acceptance from family level to lineage, clan and ward. It was all about grass root representation, it was about the masses interest. 


I am tempted to reflect on all the struggles my father went through to become a councilor then, despite the meagre renumeration.


Now that things are better, now that democracy is older in Nigeria, what is wrong with this processes of consultation and looking for a round peg in a round hole?


In today's politics, everything where no longer the same as they once where. Things have changed. It is sad to note that some aspirants who eventually becomes their Party's candidate can not speak English fluently. Can those ones effectively carry the people along or to say the least, speak and defend the people at the grassroot level? 


God help our Democracy.


*WeneedLocalGovernmentAutonomy*

ad here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Comments are Welcomed

SPONSORED

Comments system

LATEST UPDATES ⬇⬇⬇

Comments